Aimee Connolly launches the 2023 Vhi Women’s Mini Marathon!
- Calling all Kerry walkers, joggers and runners! The 41st edition takes place on Bank Holiday Sunday 4th June in Dublin City Centre
- Vhi survey on Irish women’s walking and running habits and motivations finds:
- Over half of Irish women (52%) reduce or stop walking or running activity during their period
- 57% of those experiencing menopausal symptoms say walking or running helps overcome these symptoms
- 77% believe signing up to a mass participation event with friends or family would help them with achieving their walking or running goals.
Register now on www.vhiwomensminimarathon.ie
13th March 2023: Businesswoman and Vhi ambassador Aimee Connolly today launched the 2023 Vhi Women’s Mini Marathon at Vhi Offices, Dublin. The 10k event, now in its 41st year, will take place on Bank Holiday Sunday June 4th at an earlier start time of 12:30pm. The event is open to all those who wish to walk, jog or run the 10km route through Dublin City Centre.
To mark the launch of this year’s Vhi Women’s Mini Marathon, Vhi commissioned a body of research*with 500 women who either walk or run to get a better understanding of Irish women’s running and walking habits. The key findings of this research are:
- 43% of Irish women said they walk and run as normal while on their period
- 37% said they reduce their activity while on their period
- 15% said they stop their fitness activity while on their period
- Reasons given by those who stop walking or running were feeling fatigued (63%), lacking motivation (38%), feeling bloated or conscious they may leak (both 33%).
- 57% of women experiencing menopausal symptoms said that walking or running helps them to overcome these symptoms
The 2023 Vhi Women’s Mini Marathon will be a celebration of togetherness, and whether you participate with friends, family or by yourself, you’ll be part of a special community. 77% of Irish women who walk or run believe signing up to a mass participation event with friends or family would help them with achieving their walking or running goal.
The research also found that 74% of walkers and runners prefer to undertake their activity with friends or family. The main reasons cited were:
- As a source of motivation (60%)
- To provide company and conversation (57%)
- To provide encouragement (43%)
- To feel safe (40%)
To help women across Ireland prepare for the event, Vhi has teamed up with Aimee Connolly, along with other inspirational partners to help Kerry women prepare for the Vhi Women’s Mini Marathon in a manageable way. Between now and June 4th, follow @VhiWMM on social or visit vhiwomensminimarathon.ie for training plans tailored to all fitness levels, nutrition support and much more.
Registration for the event is now open on www.vhiwomensminimarathon.ie. Every participant will receive a Vhi Women’s Mini Marathon finishers medal, and the first 10,000 participants who opt in when registering will receive a Vhi Women’s Mini Marathon t-shirt. Further to that, Vhi customers can claim back the event entry fee via the Vhi app.
David O’Leary, General Manager, Women’s Mini Marathon, commented: “We are delighted to bring the Vhi Women’s Mini Marathon to the streets of Dublin city for the 41st time this year. Not only is the Vhi Women’s Mini Marathon an annual celebration of women coming together for fun, fitness and fundraising, the event also plays an important role in promoting the health and wellbeing of women all over Ireland and beyond; something that is backed up by the findings of the consumer research conducted by our title sponsors Vhi. We look forward to welcoming 25,000 women into the city this June Bank Holiday weekend.”
Brighid Smyth, Head of Corporate Communications in Vhi said, “Vhi are proud to be the title sponsor of the Vhi Women’s Mini Marathon, an event that is part of the fabric of Irish society. This event is a celebration of women and everyone has different reasons for taking part whether its fitness related, to raise funds for a cause or to enjoy a day out with family and friends. Whatever the reason, joining 25,000 women on the streets of Dublin in the biggest event of its kind, is very powerful. In Vhi we are committed to helping people live longer, stronger, healthier lives and our partnership with the Women’s Mini Marathon helps us to deliver this.
Aimee Connolly, entrepreneur and Vhi Ambassador said, “I’m really excited to be working with Vhi this year again for the Vhi Women’s Mini Marathon. It was such an incredible shared experience last year as part of a community of thousands of other women walking, jogging and running through the streets of Dublin. Vhi has teamed up with some brilliant women to provide inspiration over the next 12 weeks to race day, so whether you’re looking for recipe ideas, training routines or just to hear the story of someone else on the journey to June 4th, stay tuned to Vhi Women’s Mini Marathon social media channels! I am really looking forward to participating in this event alongside some really inspiring and wonderful women this year. ”